The University of Queensland created this Visiting Professorship for leading Shakespeare scholars in 2006, in memory of Associate Professor Lloyd Davis, who died in 2005.
In announcing the Visiting Professorship in 2005, then UQ Vice Chancellor Professor Hay, AC, said the following.
“UQ is committed to the long-term expansion of Shakespeare studies, to build on our international reputation for excellence and the momentum of next year's events. The Lloyd Davis Memorial Visiting Professorship will bring one major world scholar to UQ each year, beginning in 2006, to teach and share their scholarship with our own Shakespeareans.”
Lloyd Davis and Professor Richard Fotheringham secured the VIII World Shakespeare Congress held at Brisbane City Hall in July, 2006 for Brisbane and The University of Queensland.
Lloyd Davis Memorial Visiting Scholars
- 2016: Professor John Wyver, University of Westminster
- 2015: Professor Dympna Callaghan, Syracuse University
- 2014: Professor Gil Harris, The George Washington University/Ashoka University
- 2013: Dr Farah Karim-Cooper, Shakespeare's Globe
- 2012: Professor Tom Bishop, University of Auckland
- 2011: Professor Richard Strier, University of Chicago
- 2010: Professor Lars Engle, University of Tulsa
- 2009: Professor Julie Sanders, University of Nottingham
- 2008: Professor Gordon McMullen, Professor of English, Kings College London
- 2007: Dr Paul Prescott, University of Warwick
- 2006: Professor Peter Donaldson, Massachusetts Institute of Technology