Apply for Research Higher Degrees (RHD)

  1. Check that you meet the entry requirements of your chosen program. If you are unsure about your eligibility, contact the Director of RHD, providing an outline of your qualifications.
    • Ensure you meet English Language requirementsIf English is not your first language, you should check that your English is of an appropriate standard.
  2. Develop a clear idea of your research interests and browse the research section to ascertain whether or not you can be accommodated in the School.
  3. Talk to a staff member who researches in your chosen field. Check the Study Areas page to see who teaches in particular fields.
  4. Complete the Expression of Interest and send to the School (
  5. Prepare a more detailed Research Proposal that describes the aims, significance and scope of the research you wish to conduct. Your proposal should be a few pages long and give sufficient detail about your intended research for potential supervisors to assess its feasibility.
  6. Submit your proposal by post or email to the Director, RHD Studies, who will canvass staff to ascertain their interest in supervising the project. If you want particular staff members to act as your principal or associate advisors, note this in your correspondence. It is a good idea to send a resume or a brief description of your academic and/or professional qualifications at this time.
  7. Develop your proposal further before applying for admission, if advised to do so. In particular, scholarship applicants are advised to work closely with prospective advisors to develop your proposals to a competitive standard. The Director, RHD, can advise you who to contact, or you can peruse the Study Areas to ascertain who is likely to have expertise in your field of interest.
  8. You may be referred to another School at this university or to another institution if a supervisor for your project cannot be found. Unfortunately, we cannot accept your application if we cannot guarantee an appropriate advisory team, even if your academic record is exemplary.
  9. Submit a formal application once the School has approved your project and found prospective supervisors. It is important to dedicate adequate time to your program of research and maintain regular contact with the School. This is particularly important if you are a part-time and/or remote student and have other time commitments throughout the expected period of study.Different application procedures apply if you are a domestic as opposed to international applicant. 
Different application procedures apply if you are a domestic as opposed to international applicant. 
Different application procedures apply if you wish to pursue RHD studies in Creative Writing or Art History by Exhibition.

Application Process Information

Domestic Applicants

  • If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or a New Zealand citizen, you qualify as a domestic applicant and will have your tuition fees for research higher degrees waived. Visit the Graduate School website to access detailed instructions and forms, and send your completed application materials directly to the School at the address below.
Director, Research Higher Degrees
School of Communication and Arts
University of Queensland
QLD 4072 Australia

Telephone: +61 7 3365 2710
Fax: +61 7 3365 2799

International Applicants

Transferring and Readmitting Students

  • Transfer students should complete the application process for a domestic or international applicant as appropriate. Students also need to supply certified documentary evidence of the duration and attendance status of any previous research higher degree enrolment.
  • Former candidates seeking readmission should follow the procedures outlined for new applicants. Each case for readmission is evaluated on its own merits. Students may not be able to pursue the same topic or be granted credit for work already done. However, if a major portion of the research work has been completed and the student's application is made within two years of withdrawing, the required period of enrolment may be reduced.

Remote Status

  • The School expects all Research Higher Degree students to be enrolled as internal candidates for a minimum of 12 months (full-time equivalent) during their candidature. Provided they have fulfilled (or can fulfil) the course-work requirements of their specific degree, domestic students living more than 250 miles from Brisbane and international students living overseas can apply for remote status.
  • Creative Writing students are not normally admitted into the MPhilCW or PhDCW programs as remote candidates, though, under special circumstances, they may apply later to study remotely. Occasionally, the School allows Research Higher Degree candidates in other programs to enrol remotely, but only if they have completed an appropriate level of advanced research training. Such students are still required to fulfil the University's compulsory residency requirements and to complete the coursework requirements for the particular degree.