Professor Richard Fotheringham's research interests include Australian drama, Australian performing arts policy, English Renaissance staging, textual criticism, and Australian stage comedy.
His current research includes editing early Australian plays, Australian stage comedy 1915-1930, and staging Shakespeare in Australia.
Professor Fotheringham is the author of:
- Sport in Australian Drama, Cambridge University Press.
- In Search of Steele Rudd, Uni. of Queensland Press.
- Articles on Australian drama, performing arts policy, Renaissance staging, and theory of editing.
- Australian Plays for the Colonial Stage 1834-1899 (Australian Academy of the Humanities, 2006).
- Community Theatre in Australia, Methuen, 1987, Currency 1992.
- Dampier and Walch's stage version of Robbery Under Arms.